Friday, July 17, 2009

top ten list/questions

1. "Planting the seeds," (Suzie's phrase?) is a powerful action.

2. There are MANY valuable resources available: DVD's, YouTube clips, books, websites, organizations...Thanks for bringing them to us!

3. The power of discussing brain function & how ads are targeted to stimulate certain instincts/functions.

4. The digital immigrant/digital native readings helped me put some of my skepticism in perspective, moving me more toward "healthy" skepticism.

5. Analyzing ads using the ACME ad techniques was great. I will definitely use this with students.

6. Using the bog, watching your twitter presentation helped me see some of the positive educational applications of these technology tools.

7. My need to promote media literacy in a wide variety of ways: displays, questions/contests/reading out via newsletters...

8. My need to determine "gaps" in media literacy instruction in our school. The importance of heightening awareness, with a media literacy class to follow.

9. This class heightened my awareness to the fact that while I don't watch TV, have a
Facebook page, etc., I'm in the minority and as long as I am in the field of education, it's my obligation to be familiar with the new media tools out there.

10. That unless we, as parents, citizens, educators, do a good job of seeing to it that "students graduate from high school with a level of technology literacy that enables them to use technology effectively, productively, and ethically throughout their lives," we will have citizens unable to cope with the wide range of issues they will face.

Questions:
1. I still struggle with the huge task of educating people on the importance of balance in all of this. How much time does your son/daughter spend on the internet? How much time do they spend "playing?" You get the jist. How does the importance of this message become as prevalent as all the other, consumer targeted messages?

2. Still to do? Develop some sort of checklist or survey (maybe using SurveyMonkey) to help identify what technologies teachers in our school are using in their classes and to what extent they include media literacy in units when applicable. This information will be invaluable, I think.

3. Still to do? Come up with more creative ideas about how to promote media literacy education in the library setting. I mentioned some in the action plan of my paper, but I need to think of more.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent list Judy! And important follow up areas to continue working on. It's all a challenge, to be sure, but well worth our investment and struggles (loved your quote in your #10 - right on!)

    It was a pleasure to have you in class. I feel as if we are kindred spirits in this hyper media culture, but this is why I do what I do - and you too now! Education is the answer...

    BTW, the other NEK librarian I was referring to was Harriette Phillips-Hamblett at Lake Region Union High School. Do you know her?

    ReplyDelete